Szymon Popielec - intermedia artist, performer. Born in 1989 in Szczebrzeszyn (Poland). He graduated from Barnard Morando high school in Zamość and the College of Fine Arts at the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Kazimierz Dolny. He is a graduate of the Faculty of Arts at the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin. He completed his diploma in 2016 in the prof. Jan Gryka’s atelier.
In the years 2011-2012 he was a scholar at the Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra. In 2012, he became a laureate of the national competition Limits of Drawing.
- Camouflage, city space, Poznań, 2020,
- History of the Commemorative Book. Gryka/Tarkawian/Popielec, together with Jan Gryka and Mariusz Tarkawian, KZMRZ Studio, Kazimierz Dolny, 2019,
- S to Q, Andersen’s Theatre, Lublin, 2018,
- Arms out of control, Kąt Gallery, Lublin, 2016,
- Phantasmagories, Szymon Popielec together with Alicja Pulik, Oranżeria Gallery, Potocki Palace, Radzyń Podlaski, 2015,
- Indulgence, Szymon Popielec together with Alicja Pulik, Labirynt II Gallery, Lublin, 2015,
- Arms under control, Young Art Forum of the Galeria Biała in Lublin, 2013.
Selected group exhibitions:
- Lubelska Wiosna,(nationwide competition) Grand Prix, Centrum Spotkania Kultur, Lublin 2021
- Uchylmy Ściany, Galeria Biała, Lublin 2021,
- What would happen if? The choice to build an alternative future, CreArt Exhibition, 2020,
- So long as we still live, 9th Youth Trienniale, Centre of Polish Sculpture in Orońsko, 2020,
- Exhibition of the 13th Geppert Competition, BWA Wrocław Główny Gallery, 2019,
- No Budget Show 11, KZMRZ, city space, Kazimierz Dolny, 2019 (earlier: No Budget Show 6, Lublin, 2014, No Budget Show 5, Lublin, 2013)
- Ephemeral Project BRL/LUB, Ładno Pracownia Co-working Studio, Lublin, 2019,
- Sleepy/Spring Dreams, Galeria Biała, Lublin, 2018,
- Construction combine, BWA Zielona Góra, 2016,
- Plastic vanitas, Contemporary Art Gallery MD_S, Wrocław, 2016,
- Dada yes, Galeria Biała, Lublin, 2016,
- 7. Youth Triennial Kunszt in Lviv, Kunszt 7™ Ukrainian version (Dzyga Gallery, Icon Museum, Museum of Ideas), 2015 (earlier: The 7th Youth Trienniale at the Centre of Contemporary Sculpture in Orońsko, 2014)
- White Transformation, Galeria Biała, Lublin, 2015,
- Palindrome, Public Art Gallery in Sopot, 2015,
- Biała Art, Galeria Biała, Lublin, 2014,
- My Presence, MOCAK Museum of Contemporary Art in Krakow, 2014,
- The best diplomas of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Labirynt Gallery, Lublin, 2013.
Information of interest and additional information about the artist:
"I am traveling in an outfit I made on the basis of a military clothes. I painted military attributes in a fancy camou flage and combined them with elements from everyday life. Every day I take a painting with dimensions of 33x22 cm with me. I put color spots on the canvas (from 2013) in such a way that the spots start to form bars, then the bars connect and new forms are created. Smultaneously, during this activity, I create objects from things found in a given area"