CreArt partner Artkomas invite Artists of CreArt cities to apply for participation in LANGUAGE. MONO-DIA-LOGOS exhibition to be presented from April in Ars et Mundus Gallery in Kaunas (Lithuania)
Language is one of the most important tools of human communication. Without language, one cannot perceive one’s environment as well as one’s own essence or one’s place in the changing world. Though communication sciences prioritize vocalized and written language, they do not fully reject the possibility to regard non-verbal communication as a certain variation of language. Specialists of visuality have noted long ago that artistic expression is a peculiar, unique and individual language of its creator. Therefore we invite artists to present their critical perception of the language phenomenon using their own artistic expression.
Philosopher Edmund Husserl (1859 - 1938) stated that before uttering a sentence we construct and realize it by an inner monologue, releasing an articulate narrative into the acoustic environment only afterwards. Husserl believed that this inner act of vocalizing is the actual reality where the real human “me” resides. Poststructuralist Jacques Derrida (1930 – 2004) criticized Husserl, claiming that the inner voice is false. Multiple inner repetition of things instills a perception of the world that is not necessarily a correct one: it often lies to us about the reality. Finally, thoughts experience transformation while traversing the acoustic space, and in the process of a dialogue they acquire different, sometimes unforeseen meanings.
The terms “monologue” and “dialogue” are very complicated, because of the “logos” (Gr. λογος) element that means language, word, thought, reason and even the divine universe operating reason.
The ideas of Husserl and Derrida as well as the complicated meaning of the word “logos” show how important the communication process is, in its dialogical and monological forms. Therefore, the exhibition will attempt to reflect on the phenomenon of language, evaluating critically the communication forms of monologue and dialogue.
The exhibition invites creators of various fields with instruments of traditional as well as innovative visual art expression to analyze and research the language that they use, the paradoxes of language, the differences and similarities of dialogical and monological forms, the distorted and stable meanings of linguistic signs that we encounter every day. The art that applies self-analysis is invited to be exhibited in two artist exhibition that will be presented in Kaunas, Lithuania.
• Application should be sent before 28 February 2021.
• Information about the results of selection around 5 March 2021.
• Exhibition opening 1 April 2021.
Participation in exhibition is open to: contemporary visual artists born or resident in the CreArt cities *, profesionally representing the fields of visual and fine arts; there is no age limit. Works of two artists only will be selected for the exhibition, one of them must represent the city of Kaunas.
* Eligible artists from Genoa should be under 35.
Exhibition Organiser: PI Artkomas; http://www.artkomas.lt https://www.facebook.com/artkomas
Exhibition curator: artist, art critic Remigijus Venckus, PhD. R. Venckus defended his doctoral dissertation in the humanities in 2014; in 2005 – 2015 he has published 337 critical articles on subjects of art, media culture and creative industries. In 2008 – 2016 R. Venckus acted as art critic for the international visual arts festival „Art In Old Lithuanian Manors“ (Lithuania). Since 2002 he has held 50 solo exhibitions in Lithuania and 4 solo exhibitions abroad.
R. Venckus has been teaching subjects of media technologies and art creation in Lithuanian and foreign universities. He is currently Professor at Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Faculty of Fundamental Sciences, Department of Graphic Systems. More information available at www.venckus.eu
Commitments of the Organiser:
- 300 € grant for the artist.
- Flight tickets to the exhibition opening.
- Local travel costs.
- The accommodation costs.
- Artworks transportation costs to and from Kaunas.
- Organization of exhibition (catalogue, marketing, exhibition opening).
- Preparation of Virtual exhibition.
Application for Exhibition LANGUAGE. MONO-DIA-LOGOS
Please upload one PDF containing the following:
1. Main data
1.2. Name, Surname:
1.3. Date of birth:
1.5. Represented city and country:
1.6. Tel. no:
1.8. Website (other internet links or resources, not more than 5):
2. Education. Please indicate the year of graduation, speciality, qualification degree, name of the educational institution, country.
3. Professional activity. Please provide the list of the most important exhibitions of the last 10 years. Please indicate the year, the title of the exhibition, the name of the gallery (museum, etc.), city and country. Please indicate if the exhibition was solo or group.
4. Works for LANGUAGE. MONO-DIA-LOGOS. Please describe the idea of the works you plan to show at the exhibition (10 – 15 sentences). Please indicate the size, type and technique of the planned works, as well as the necessary technical, software and other equipment for the exposition.
4.2. Technical details:
4.5. Requirements for exposition:
4.6. Other remarks:
5. Samples of works. Please send pictures of your works together with your application, or send links to your works on the web. There should be no more than 10 samples of works provided.
You must Sign in / Register to apply this Open Call
Return to Open Calls